Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Sitter #1

I posted a while back on why we hired a sitter and how important that was for us. After interviewing a few people and our #1 choice not being available until mid-May, we decided to try out someone on a trial basis. We discussed it and decided that giving her a shot as a back up sitter might be a good idea, so we set up a day and time for her to come over and hang out with Matthew while I was home.

Apparently, my child has his own agenda and did not take to her at all. Sure, he's going through some separation anxiety/stranger danger, but there are quite a few people he's totally comfortable with that he's never met. It was quite an interesting day to say the least and we have decided we won't be using her anymore.

Here's what NOT to do when it's your first day on the job babysitting.
  1. Arrive for the job late. Yes, I'm a stickler for time when it comes to you being paid to watch my child. You were late to the interview and I showed grace and gave you a second chance, but being late to the actual job? Umm, no.
  2. Not paying attention to the details. It's important not only to listen, but to ask questions and remember the important details such as where his food and formula is and how to change his cloth diaper.
  3. Bombarding him when he first wakes up. I'm pretty sure that when I mention he might need a little bit to get used to you, that is a hint to take your time when approaching him. Him screaming when you get in his face .2 seconds after he wakes up is not making him comfortable.
  4. Oversharing. Learning about your sitter and their issues will come over time, but knowing all about you within the first hour of having you over? That's a little much. Please make sure that you also leave out things that might make a parent feel uncomfortable before they really know you. Plus, it makes it seem like drama follows you everywhere.
  5. Admitting to calling the authorities on more than one family. Are you going to call the police or CPS on me? Yes, there are definitely warranted cases, but you are way too comfortable calling the authorities. See previous statement.
  6. Telling me you're fine with my child screaming and that it doesn't bother you, then telling me how patient I am with him. Yes, my child cries, a lot, but if it doesn't bother you, then you shouldn't really comment on how I'm patient and good with him when it's been 45 minutes of almost constant crying. It makes me think that you wouldn't be patient in this situation.
  7. Letting me know you need the money. I understand everyone has their own financial burdens, but this is inappropriate on your first day.

As you can see, we won't be asking this particular sitter back. I'm holding out hope that our first choice will be much better with him and that she will be a great summer sitter for us and will continue on her breaks from college. Being a previous caregiver myself, I try to really make it a priority to treat our sitters well and hope that they feel the same way.

No comments: