Monday, February 7, 2011

McFatty Monday

I almost didn't do a McFatty Monday post today because lately, I haven't been doing too well. 

The truth is... I'm an emotional eater. 

I eat when I'm happy, sad, stressed, tired, bored. It's sad, really. And the things that I crave the most? Ice cream, cookies, chocolate, hamburgers (particularly Big Macs), and all other sweet or fatty foods. Clearly, this is a problem.

I've been making more of an effort this past week. I went to my new gym and took Zumba last Monday and loved it! Unfortunately, it was a bit much for my back right now and I had to leave a little early due to the tightness and discomfort I was feeling, but it inspired me to go to the store to get more healthy things to eat!

I have a major issue with breakfast. There are few things that are healthy that really fill me up. I've tried cereal, english muffins with peanut butter, and peanut butter toast. Eggs just don't do it for me and more often than not I find myself driving through the McDonalds drive-thru ordering a bagel, egg, and cheese sandwich and a yogurt parfait. It's an issue.

This past week I decided to try something different. I bought some protein powder, non-fat frozen yogurt, and the Tropicana 50 juice to make a protein smoothie for breakfast. This worked a couple of times last week and really filled me up! I didn't even get hungry until lunch, but today was a different story. I got really stressed at work and was starving all morning. It sucked.

Even though last week wasn't perfect, I feel like I'm still making strides. Tonight I said no to just sitting on the couch with my back aching and yes to going to the gym to work out in the heated therapy pool. And you know what? I feel awesome. I also said no to the ice cream in the freezer and yes to a cut up cucumber and a little bit of dressing as a post work-out snack.

I feel like the big difference is that I'm trying. I may only make it to the gym once a week, but that's once a week more than I've gone in months and for the last three weeks I've been consistent. Sometimes it's about taking baby steps to get you where you want to be and I'm ok with that. You know what they say...

Slow and steady wins the race!

1 comment:

eggielynn said...

kathy,
I'm so proud of you. Don't beat yourself up. It happens to the best of us. (insert photo of me here) I know you'll do amazing with your workout. I have every bit of faith in you!