This past week my sweet boy turned one month old. How is that even possible? It's definitely been an interesting month and he's getting bigger by the day.
He started out with a bout of jaundice which landed us in the hospital for light therapy the day after we came home from the hospital. We also found out that he had an upper lip and tongue tie. So, after being under the lights for 24 hours and waiting another 6-8 hours for a possible rebound, and an ENT consult to take care of the tongue/lip ties, he was cleared to go home!
I was pumping and giving him mostly breast milk for the first two weeks and things were going great! Then, we decided that it wasn't the best option for us and had to give him more formula and less breast milk and we started noticing a lot of problems.
My sweet boy who slept comfortably after every feeding started screaming and crying with every feeding and would tense up his body in pain. I realized it was the formula and tried a sensitive kind. This seemed to work for a day or two and the problems were back. The next step was the gentle ease formula and it was going really well for the first 3-4 days, but by the end of the week it was back to him screaming and crying with every feeding. The doctor gave us samples of alimentum, a hypoallergenic kind so we tried that. It was great for the first 24 hours then he started getting sick all over after every feeding. An ER trip later, we found out the culprit was acid reflux. With Zantac and soy formula to try, we finally got it under control!
At one month, he...
- Sleeps a lot! Barely has any awake time except for before feedings or unless he doesn't feel well.
- Doesn't like his diaper changed, but the wipes warmer helps a lot.
- Is starting to like/tolerate bath time every other day.
- Still has a full head of hair that's getting lighter by the week!
- Loves his Rock n Play which we had to go buy when he wouldn't sleep in his bassinet due to reflux.
- Smiles a lot in his sleep. Social smiles should come soon so we're looking forward to that.
- Loves to be held and snuggle with momma.
- Looks intently at people's faces now and is much more aware of loud sounds!
- Can fit width-wise into newborn onesies, but is too long length-wise. Newborn pants are still a little big though!