Monday, February 11, 2013

Another Sneak Peek!

This weekend has been a whirlwind of emotions when it comes to this pregnancy. Due to my PCOS, I have been on Metformin to help reduce the risk of miscarriage during the first trimester. My RE put me on it, but since I'm no longer a patient there, my OB gets to make the final call on how long to keep me on the medication. My OB doesn't prescribe Metformin so he doesn't feel comfortable making that decision and decided to have me see a MFM (high risk) doctor for a consult. Basically, I would go in with my records and the MFM would make the decision and I would continue my care with the OB. Sounds easy and do-able.

Of course, it couldn't be that easy. Friday, I called the MFM and asked for a consult like my OB's office told me to do. They asked why I needed one and I told them about my PCOS, Metformin, and results of my most recent blood work. They decided to transfer me to the diabetic counselor. The diabetic counselor asked about my blood work and when she realized that I passed my gestational diabetes test and am not diabetic, she told me how fantastic it was! Then, she told me that she wanted me to check my blood sugars 4-5 times per day, see a dietician, and be treated like a diabetic. Um, what?!

I checked my sugars three times and they were all well in the normal range. Of course, I'm willing to do what I need to do to continue to be healthy for the baby, but I was wondering why I needed to see her when I just need to find out about the medication. So, I called my OB's office this morning and told them what happened and how confused I was. They agreed that was not the person I needed to see and had me call back and ask to see the high-risk doctor.

After I called them, they then transferred me to speak directly to the doctor who told me to stop the Metformin at 12 weeks (Sunday!) and come in for a consult when they're at my home hospital in the next week or two. I called the number he gave me and tried to set up an appointment. They asked if I was diabetic and when I said no, they were confused. They then asked if I had an ultrasound done by one of their doctors or at the participating hospital and when I said that it was done by someone else, they said that it had to be done by them. They decided to call the MFM and ask what the recommendation was and call me back when they knew how to schedule me.

They called me back a few hours later and informed me that the doctor wants to see me next Wednesday, the 20th. I will need to have a dating ultrasound done by them prior to my appointment and will get to see the doctor for the consult immediately afterwards.

So, I guess we'll get an extra picture of Baby Reese next week really looking like a baby! Of course, I'm a little nervous, but I know that God has given us this child and we've had no reason to believe that anything is wrong. I'm still having plenty of symptoms and feeling the stretching/round ligament pain so the baby should be growing just fine.

Please continue to pray for us and Baby Reese. I can't wait to see the baby one more time before we can officially announce!


1 comment:

Unknown said...

how confusing! Well extra baby looks are always nice.