Thursday, November 19, 2009

Things Parents Should Tell Their Nannies

When you work as a nanny there are some things that you need to know. Things as simple as what time the child/ren went to bed and woke up (if it is late/early), any behavioral problems that happen when I am not present, and when a new system or item is brought into the mix. Not knowing these things can wind up being detrimental to my day with the kids.

Things that have perplexed me this week...

1. Finding out from the school that an unwanted/not acceptable behavior has occurred three times. Then finding out from the parents it has happened at home over the past month.

2. Coming into work to find out that the kids have been going to bed late and waking up super early. Also finding out that the parents are not putting the kids to bed on time or having them stay in their rooms until a more appropriate hour.

3. The oldest (who is 10) getting a cell phone.

You see, all of these things affect my job in one way or another. I now have to deal with over-tired kids and a 10 year old with a cell phone. Why on earth does a 10 year old even need a cell phone? She is at school all day then at home where there is a home phone. She is always with an adult and never without a phone near her. I get to now deal with a million questions of how they work and how she got one and how come she can't use it whenever she feels like it.

Also, parents, please talk to me about things first...not your kids. It is the most obnoxious thing to have your kids telling me what you said when you won't tell me yourself. If there's a new rule I think I should be the one to know it first. And believe it or not, I have reasons why I do things...ask me instead of going behind my back....mmmm k?

Thanks.

No comments: