Monday, June 18, 2012

I'll Admit it...

When I first met my husband I liked to spend money. I loved going to Starbucks and eating out whenever I could. I liked buying clothes and spending money. It made me happy to be able to do all of those things. He, on the other hand, grew up with the mentality that you don't spend money unless you need something. Saving is better than spending. He never really liked to go out to eat, buy new clothes, or go to Starbucks. He's been on me for years now to cut back on my spending and nothing makes him happier than hearing me tell him that I didn't buy something. Oh, but the tides have changed...

Now, I'm cheap. I don't like to spend money unless there's a good reason for it. I still like to go out to eat, but I limit it to when it's necessary or a special occasion. I buy clothes when it's necessary and try to cut back on spending just because I want something.

This weekend it really hit me how much I've changed in my spending habits. Saturday morning I woke up thinking how nice it would be if I got up and bought donuts for our breakfast. Then I thought about the cost of the donuts and how it would make my husband happier if I didn't. Yes, I'm that person now. That person who will invite you over to eat instead of going out to eat just because it will save us money. And, you know what? I'm ok with that.

No comments: