Monday, November 26, 2012

Happy Husband, Happy Wife

My motto has always been, "Communication is key!" I really believe that communication is so important in all relationships especially when you are married.

Lately, I've been trying to get my husband to communicate with me a little more. Usually, I plan out what errands to run and when and he has his own idea of how things are going to work out. Unfortunately, that doesn't often match up so we both end up frustrated. This happened yesterday so I reminded him that we need to make sure to talk about it before we do things to make sure that both of our needs get met when it comes to time management. And you know what? Last night, he did exactly that.

My husband is on a tight schedule when it comes to his bed time when he works the next day. It doesn't always work out, but when he gets one bad night, it usually leads to another and he ends up feeling awful by the end of the week. When he expressed that he was stressed about getting to bed with what he still needed to get done, I gave him a suggestion on how to do manage the time he had left better. Of course, this is not what he needed, but he didn't tell me that right away.

Imagine my surprise when he told me shortly after our conversation that he was frustrated that I didn't offer to make him a turkey sandwich for lunch. At fist I was taken back a little, but I know he's been making this sandwich with the leftover turkey from Thanksgiving and I have no idea how he makes it so good. I told him that I just didn't want to disappoint him and make something he didn't like. He took that explanation and seemed ok with it, but the more I thought about it, I wasn't.

My husband is not picky about food. As long has he can stand it, he'll eat it. Plus, he just did what I've been asking him to do and telling him how it will make things easier. So, I did what I should have done in the first place and I made his turkey sandwich. 

I'm not sure if he'll like it as much as if he had made it, but I'm sure he'll like it just fine. Most importantly, he appreciated that I took the time to listen to him and make his sandwich.

1 comment:

Ugochi said...

My husband isn't picky too, but he does like to when he is hungry. I do believe communication is very important too and it save us a lot of misunderstandings and bitterness. Stopping by from Matrimonial Monday, do have a super blessed day!
Love