Tuesday, March 16, 2010

My Calling

Since I've been given until mid-June to find a job and now have my Bachelor's degree in tow I have been doing a lot of thinking about what I want to do for a career. For my whole life I wanted to teach. I love kids always for the most part and just knew that was my calling in life--that is until I actually looked into how to get my certification out here from taking my courses through an online college.

To say that I hit a road-block and was discouraged was an understatement. It seemed like there was no possible way for me to teach and afford my apartment. This is when I decided to look into human resources as an option even going so far as to take a business management class and human resources class. However, upon looking at the jobs to apply for it seems that I do not qualify for lack of experience...hmmmph.

Then I started looking into office administrative work. Not too exciting, but it would be something I'm good at and can pay the bills and give me the health insurance I've been lacking for over 2 years now. The problem with this is that it seems that not only do they want so much experience too, but most of the jobs I've applied for are really spam. I'm still not opposed to this type of work and will continue to apply for government positions, but if it doesn't work out...I won't be too upset.

The decision I've made has been made with a lot of thought, prayer, and talking it over with Phil. I've decided that I do want to teach. I want to have the summers, snow days, and breaks off with my kids. I want to be able to call in a sub and not worry about who is going to take care of my family when they are all sick. I want to be available and have a shorter day knowing that if Phil and I get married and start a family and he's still working in DC getting home late, then they would still have their mom around to take them to things and be there. These are things that have become increasingly more important to me.

I realize the road to teaching is going to be tough and pretty much suck for the next 2 years. I will have to rely on Phil and his family a lot for financial and emotional support if I can not find a school who will let me teach before I have my certification. I also know that if this is God's will, then He will provide a way for me and I won't have to worry about anything because my God is bigger than anything and can work miracles even in the worst circumstances.

So, for right now I am praying for guidance and direction in which path to take knowing that God will open the right door for me.

No comments: