Saturday, August 14, 2010

Where Should I Join Next?

Let's just put it all out there...I'm looking for a new gym. I've been at Gold's for over a year now and wanted to look into renewing my membership. The last time we signed up, we paid for a year in full and were told that the contract still applies, but the billing is different. We were told that after the year is completed, we would then be charged at the same rate, but the contract term would change from yearly to month-to-month.

I have 13 personal training sessions left and absolutely love my trainer! When I checked in to see when my year would end they told me that August 31st is my last day. Ummm, but shouldn't my payments just change over to be paid monthly? Well, that's what I thought, but the four different times I tried to check on it, they avoided that question like the plague.

The first time I spoke with a manager about it and he tried to get me to pay $10 more PER MONTH than what I was paying before! He said that is the rate I would "have" to pay to keep my membership. On top of that, he didn't want to listen to anything I said and tried to convince me that he was doing me a favor by giving me that rate! The next person I spoke with had no idea what was going on. He took down my number, promised to call me by the end of the day, and never got back to me. The third person I talked to was really nice. She looked everything up and said that there were a couple of different options for me. One was to pay just under $200 down and a lower monthly payment to have a month-to-month contract or I could have another year contract and pay monthly and after a year have what they promised me this last time a month-to-month contract after that!

Phil and I went to talk to them for the fourth time last night and I asked, once again, why they can't give me the month-to-month rate/contract that was promised to me in the original contract. I was told that because we paid in full for the year, it was a different contract and we would have to start a new one. What?! That's not what our contracts said and when I mentioned this, they had "no idea" what I was talking about!

At this point, Phil was pretty upset. He had heard it out of their mouths and had sworn off any chance of me renewing with them. Now I have 13 sessions and just until the end of the month to use them all up and find a new gym.

I've been thinking hard about where I want to work out next. We have a few gyms in the area, but it's not like California where they are all over and there are so many options. I want to find somewhere where I feel comfortable going. I've looked into the YMCA and when I walk in there it feels weird, smells like pool and sweaty people, and grosses me out! I'm thinking about looking into Curves and giving it a week trial, but with some of the reviews I've read it makes me apprehensive. Women are saying that it's a good place to start out, but it's not challenging enough after a while.

I'm not sure what to do, but I need to figure it out by the end of the month! I want to continue working out and have a place that I like going to. Has anyone tried Curves? What did you think of it? And if anyone has any suggestions about what to do, please let me know!

No comments: